Pages

8.22.2009

Marcel Proust Reading Group at Barnes & Noble in Fort Lauderdale, FL Combray (vol I)

Goal:  Read at home 10 pages per week, English or French, any translation
<< the original 1922 Moncrieff, 











<< the brand-new 2004 Lydia Davis
the 1982 Kilmartin revision [silver] >>


of Swann's Way by Marcel Proust, first book in the grand masterpiece IN SEARCH OF LOST TIME (a/k/a REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS PAST).  

Online texts are also available:  let me know & I'll send you links.

GROUP: Once a week, 30 minutes, every Thursday, 6:15 pm - 6:45 pm, explore, explicate, examine those 10 pages.  Any & all variables can be modified after we've met a few times.  FIRST MEETING:  SEPTEMBER 3, 2009

BRAVO!  So far 5 fearless readers have volunteered to join me! You rock! 

NOTE: 
Swann's Way often has 3 sections: 
    COMBRAY (sets the stage for everything to come, including the most famous cookie ever at about p. 45);
    SWANN IN LOVE (an obsessive love affair between two main characters;
    PLACE NAMES: THE NAME (an evocation of memory via the names of places)
    We'll start with the Overture/Combray, the most famous part.  
    HINT: It's easy to sleep through this book. I advise you to sit up in your chair & avoid bedtimes. Try reading aloud; there's a melody.

8 comments:

Marcelita Swann said...

Yes, I keep reading Proust and returning to "Swann's Way." Reading for the clues...some obvious, yet still more embedded.
And...I keep returning to this blog, which is a treasure.

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog you've got here.. It's hard to find high quality writing like yours these days.

I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!


Take a look at my blog post cheap spa services (vartanyan99.blog.de)

RkC said...

Thank you for your compliments. They are much appreciated. R

Marcelita Swann said...

Excited to see your new September post! Your annotations are incredibly helpful. Merci!
I just wanted to let you know that Mark Calkins has taken down Temps Perdu. He may be upgrading it, but I am not positive. Also, a few of your marble images....

Soon, Marcelita

RkC said...

Marcelita...
No, say it ain't so! I hope he's just updating, it was such a great resource! Anyway, I'm about to join Pin. so I can see your items. I keep getting linked to them, but then the big blocker gets in the way. Soon... BTW, the group now meets via Skype, as I'm out of town. I think that means you can log in, if you wanted.

Marcelita Swann said...

R~
Must smile, or frown, has a year almost disappeared since the previous post?
Are you still meeting via Skype? I am interested, but would need to be in disguise like a character in Time Regained. ;) What about group cohesion? Clever idea and tempting! Would also be interested in a re-readers group. Humm...that would be years away.

Please email me direct at gmail, if you are looking for something specific. Pinterest is my "visual filing cabniet." Many times, the borrowed image does not match the relevant text. Plus, broken links are a continual issue. Sometimes, they can be found in "the cemetery."

Here is Mark Calkins' site on the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150611150438/http://www.tempsperdu.com/

I just "re-followed" with the updated Google site; hope it works!
MS

Anonymous said...

Renee~ Found in The Wayback Machine, Mark Calkin's pioneering website, Temps Perdu.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150428094847/http://tempsperdu.com/
Marcelita

Marcelita Swann said...

Renée ~
We loved having you join our group, 'Proust Rereaders in New York City.'

Best of all, you gave us these pages:
https://readproust.blogspot.com/2018/10/links-to-pages-in-captive.html
How lucky are we?

Good luck in finally completing the entire novel...the end is here...and we are so grateful for the incredible annotations over nine years, since 2009!

Saving your seat, until you return,
Your devoted fellow Proustians